> Serving Youth and Families since 1909
Woodland Hills proudly celebrates over a 100 years of providing children’s services. Our history is rich in its belief that there are no throwaway children. From our beginnings as St. James Home of Duluth (1909), an orphanage run by the Catholic Diocese, to nearly forty years operating as Woodland Hills, we have a legacy of success.
The progression of Woodland Hills programs:
In 1971, the organization restated its mission, changed its name to Woodland Hills and began operating as a Residential Treatment Center. In 1982, The Chisholm 30, a highly successful residential consequence program was founded. Woodland Hills Day Treatment, a program for youth at risk of being placed out of their homes, was started in 1990. In 1992, Neighborhood Youth Services, a free voluntary program for young people in Duluth’s Hillside neighborhood, was established. Semi-Independent Living, emerged in 1998 as a semi-independent home for males and expanded its services in 2004 with housing for adolescent females. The agency’s continuum of care expanded in 2009 with its addition of Residential Treatment for Mental Health.